Monday, April 13, 2009

Transform a Useless Hutch into an Updated Island

For years I had this hutch that I found little use for. I wasn't a huge dish collector and I felt like displaying dishes on a hutch was a bit passe and dare I say...Grandma-ish!
Several years ago I knocked a couple of walls down to open up my kitchen. I was now in desperate need of an island. I searched for islands at the typical places like Lowe's, Home Depot, and Cost Plus but the quality,design and price left much to be desired. These were most likely the cheapest places out there! All of a sudden that old Grandma-ish useless hutch looked exactly like what I needed!
Here is how a Grandma-ish hutch can turn into a style-ish island!
Step 1:
  • A fresh coat of paint or stain gives an amazing face lift to anything old. Instantly updating an old piece into a hip new piece!

Step 2:

  • Take the top part of the hutch and place it on the ground. Remove any hardware. With both backs touching, you now have an island! But this is not all! Up date and add even more storage!
Step 3:
  • Measure the width and length of your shelves. When you are looking for baskets make sure they fit these measurements with 1-2 inches space between each basket. (Trust me! You do not want to go without your measurements when looking for baskets!)

Voila! Done and you didn't have to look further than your own home! Try this same technique to update your bookcases and entertainment systems. It provides great storage with a clean, sleek, clutter-free look! If you don't happen to have a hutch just lying around then shop your local thrift store or garage sale! Remember it may look old and out dated but a fresh coat of paint will instantly change all of that!

5 comments:

  1. Very cool! I love this idea. Thanks for sharing.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,
    Thanks for the follow! Hope to see you here often and I really enjoyed your site!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh! This is interesting. My hubby took an antique wardrobe that was too large for our house and instead he turned it into a gorgeous entertainment center that closes when company is around. We also bought nice matching cherry finished square baskets to hold rows and rows of DVDs. It turned out awesome! I've never though about turning one into an island. Super cute and I love all of the storage! Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same to our videos in our entertainment system. It makes the videos look uncluttery:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is pretty clever! I would add something to the legs on the bottom to make it the same height though.

    ReplyDelete