Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Faux Wainscoting


Love the look of wainscoting but can't afford it or DIY? Try Faux Wainscoting!
All you need is
  • textured wall paper
  • measuring tape
  • leveler
  • primer
  • semi-gloss paint

I bought mine on sale at Lowe's several years ago. I wanted it to look like the metal ceiling tins from the 30's. They had several patterns that were textured but I saw the perfect pattern and texture already painted in gold (YUCK!). It was cheaper and who cares if it was gold. I was going to paint it anyway :)


  1. So first you must wash your walls to assure that the wall paper sticks.

  2. Then measure how far up the wall you want it to go. To do this we need to use the Golden Mean (remember when we made curtains?!) This means that the chair rail should be about 1/3 of the way up from the floor (between 32" and 36" for an 8’ ceiling). You can also place a chair back to the wall and mark where it hits the wall. Use your tape measure and level to make a level line along the whole length of the room. Floors are not always level, so using a level will make your Faux Wainscoting straight. If you already have chair railing then measure from chair railing molding to floor molding.

  3. Cut wall paper if needed and apply as instructed by the manufacturer. ***I really like the wall paper that is already got adhesive and all you do is add water.
  4. When wall paper has dried apply a coat of primer, let dry and then add 1-2 layers of paint.(The first time I painted it I wanted it to look antiqued with a forest green. I saw this look on a background display in Target's garden section years ago. I have just recently painted it all white for a fresh new look.)

  5. Add chair railing. My husband did it but here is a site that can help too diynetwork.

Hope this helps inspire you! See that off white light switch in the photo above? That's going to be replaced with a white rocker panel light switch. How to coming up!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment