Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Shepherds Pie

Shepherds Pie is one of my all time favorite and kid's favorite dinner. It's easy to make and is always a big hit. My oldest daughter loves it so much that she practically made the entire meal herself! This is one of those proud parent moments for me! When my kids are self sufficient I feel like I am doing my job right :)

All you need is:
  • 14 Washed Red Potatoes (they are the creamiest + don't worry about removing the skin.)
  • Butter, milk, salt and pepper for mashed potatoes
  • 2 lbs Ground beef
  • 1 packet of dry onion soup mix
  • 1 regular package of Frozen mixed veggies (we like peas and carrots best)
  • 1-2 Cups Cheese (we like the Mexican blend)

Step 1: Pre-heat oven to 400 Degrees F, take out frozen veggies and let thaw while preparing dinner. Then quarter red potatoes and boil 'til soft when you stick a fork in it.

Step 2: While potatoes are boiling, brown beef and drain fat. Mix in 1 Lipton onion soup packet to every 2 pounds of beef.

Step 3: Make mashed potatoes as desired. The more the merrier :) (We like to add 1/2 C butter to boiled potatoes as well as 1/2-1 Cup milk 'til creamy and lightly salt and peppered.)

Step 4: Place the seasoned meat at the bottom of oven safe bowl or casserole dish. Then layer veggies on top (if they are not fully defrosted DO NOT WORRY, they will thaw and heat just fine in the oven with everything else). Finally layer the mashed potatoes and top with cheese (that's my kids favorite part).

Step 5: Heat in oven for 20 minutes or until cheese has melted. Serve with french bread, fruit and a salad.

2 comments:

  1. Looks & sounds yummy! I will have to try and make this for dinner one night this week :D I can't wait to teach my kid(s) how to cook - that has to be one of the most rewarding things ever as a parent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds simple and tasty too! I think I will also give it a try.

    ReplyDelete