Thursday, May 21, 2009

Homemade Donuts


My friend Heather made these fun easy donuts with her kids. They looked so fun and easy that I had to try it. It just so happened to be Family Night Homework with my son. He thought it sounded like a fun activity. He loved making them so much that he even wants to do it for his class "How To" in class presentation!

Here's What you Need:


  • Pre-made biscuit dough ( I used the generic stuff from a can)

  • Top of a water jug container (or any circular object to use as a cutting tool/but not too big

  • Vegetable oil

  • Shallow pan (for frying)

  • Cinnamon/sugar in a Ziploc bag

  • Tongs/spatula (for flipping donuts)

Step 1: Heat oil in pan on medium heat (just enough oil to line bottom of pan, I filled mine halfway and it was messier and wasted oil).

Step 2: While oil is heating, mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1 or 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon in a bag (if that is too much cinnamon then add less)

***Alternative method is mixing sugar/cinnamon then spreading it on a plate and dip instead of coating in a Ziploc bag (I like this method better. It gets less of the mixture so the flavor isn't overwhelming and after a few times the Ziploc bag melts from the heat of the newly fried donuts)***

Step 3: Cut out circles from middle of biscuit

***Alternative is just make donut holes, we enjoyed the holes more than the donuts, they cooked faster and there were more to go around***

Step 4: Place your donuts and holes on you pre-heated pan. If the pan is too hot the outside will cook before the inside is done/another reason the holes are better you are less likely to get gooey centersStep 5: Flip when donuts start to brown. Once brown on both sides, remove from pan and either shake in Ziploc bag or dip in cinnamon/sugar mixture

***Alternative is to make a glaze (powdered sugar, melted butter and milk mixed-About 4 cups powdered sugar 2-3 TBS melted butter and 2-3 TBS milk add more milk or butter to make glaze runnier)***

5 comments:

  1. I just noticed I have been posting a lot of food related stuff this week! Guess you know what my pregnant mind is on..eating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought some doughnut pans this week to make baked donuts. Your post gave me the jump start I needed to get going. They look yummy!

    Cindy
    www.unorganizedmatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow these look great! Have to give them a try! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, yum. My friend's mom would always make these when we spent the night at her house. I should try it again. She also did powdered sugar coating. Definitely something to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom used to make these for us! We also used powdersugar as one of the toppings. I can't believe I've forgotten about her homemade doughnuts. I definately need to teach it to my kids!

    ReplyDelete